Wishing all of you a very happy 2021! I do hope that each one of us has a year full of love, laughter, luck & success.
Today, I would like to write a bit about the mind-body connection.
But first, let me ask you, How often have you been feeling physically tired, yet you cannot sleep or rest because you have many thoughts running in your mind? How often have you realized that your body needs rest but the mind is overactive?
This usually happens because the mind & body are out of sync. Synchronization of the mind & body, leads to better health (both physical & mental) and increased energy levels minus the feeling of fatigue.
Have you heard of the mind-body connection before? Did you know that the dialogue between mind and body is a two-way street?
Our body is an integral part of how we think. Our body, how we move it, and how we interact with our physical surroundings shapes how we think, feel, and behave.
So how do we improve the mind-body connection?
Here are 5 ways to do so!
- Take small active breaks from work: This helps to give your brain a chance to regroup and reboot. Physically walking away from the problem for a few minutes may help you solve it. The break needn’t be too long, A short break is very effective as well.
- Mind your Posture: Our body’s posture and expressions are not just reflections of our mind — they can influence our mood. Standing tall, keeping our back straight, being mindful of not hunching our shoulders, all these can go a long way in boosting our confidence and helping us to feel better about ourselves. Our brain uses our movements & expressions as cues to feel emotions. So being mindful of our facial expressions is also very useful. Smiling can actually make us feel happier.
- Nature: Spend time in nature as often as you can. New science shows that a walk in the woods rejuvenates our minds and improves our ability to pay attention and focus. Spending time in nature helps our bodies connect with the earth directly, thus healing the mind too.
- Meditate: Meditation for even a few minutes a day can help alleviate anxiety and chronic pain. It also can help with self-control and in breaking bad habits. Meditation has numerous benefits and improved mind-body connection is one of them. Ancient Indian practices like Yoga combined with meditation are very effective as well.
- Participate in Dance Movement Therapy Sessions: Creative Therapies like Art Therapy, Music Therapy & Dance Movement Therapy are niche form of psychotherapy and are proven to improve mind-body connection. Our Dance Movement Therapy Sessions & Programs are specially designed to increase body awareness & improve mind-body connection.
These are a few ways to improve the mind-body connection. Do let us know if you wish to add others to the list!